Jotting down recipe and brew day notes for my first homebrew batch (an IPA), mostly as notes to my future self . This is a dense info dump without many photos after a more general brewing photos post.
Beer Stats: 6.2% ABV, 40 IBUs, fermented on the cool end with an american ale yeast, dry-hopped with Simcoe, 1.062 OG, 1.014 FG
Grains: (mostly extract, partial mash)
- 7.5 lbs liquid malt extract (the bulk of the fermentables)
- 2 lbs 2-row (basic malted barley, adds a bit more flavor than just the extract)
- 0.5 lbs 40L (crystal malt, adds a little caramel sweetness and color)
- 0.5 lbs wheat (adds a little body and flavor)
Mashed grains in 3 gallons of 155F water for 45 minutes (pot covered and wrapped in a towel for rough temperature control), sack of grains removed, water heated, malt extract added, boiled.
- 1 oz Chinook @60 (i.e. at time zero of the 60-minute wort boil)
- 0.5 oz Centennial @30
- 0.5 oz Centennial @10
- 1 oz Cascade @0
- 1 oz Cascade @ -15 (15 minutes after the boil ended)
- 1 oz Simcoe dry hop @ 7 days (7 days before bottling, that is: two weeks after primary fermentation started)
Cooled the wort in a sink of ice water, poured into cleaned and sanitized plastic bucket fermenter with enough cold water to bring up to 5 gal. The original gravity (via hydrometer, corrected for temperature) was 1.061.
- 11.5g (one packet) of Safale US-05 American Ale Yeast (a yeast pitching calculator suggested 13g would be ideal for this original gravity, but that was close enough and I didn’t want to open a whole second packet just to use 10% of it), pitched into 75F wort.
I let ferment in 75F ambient for a few hours, fermentation heated it up to almost 85, so I moved it down to the garage and it was down at 65F, at the bottom of the 65-75F recommended fermentation temperature. After about a week and a half, fermentation had stabilized (successive SG = 1.014 readings). Two weeks in I dry-hopped (see above), then cold crashed at the end of the third week, leaving the yeast plenty of time to clean up the beer. I bottled with a little fresh sugar (just the standard homebrewing approach for the yeast to produce carbonation), capped, and let the beer condition for three weeks at room temperature before considering it “ready”.
I tasted it just before bottling and it had a nice Simcoe aroma, but a somewhat harsh Cascade hop bitterness up front, and a “thin” feel (though it was uncarbonated at this point). But after a month of carbonating / conditioning, it had a nice grapefruity hoppiness, the edge of the Cascade had mellowed, and it had a fuller body and a nice creamy head on the pour.